Monday, July 6, 2009

In the zone





We went to the tiny town of Carena for dinner on Friday, where fish caught from Lake Como makes up the nightly menu. First, the antipasti was two types of fish pate, one with a sweet and sour coating. (Excellent!)

Our primi piatti was the famous missoltino, or salted agone fish from the lake. (That's an earthy, nutty polenta on the side.)

Secundi was the lake's famous risotto pesce pescitore. This was such a simple dish, but what made it spectacular was the freshness of the lake perch and the lightness of the breading. The risotto had a very mild flavor. I'd had the same dish in Brunate two days earlier and it was heavier. This one was perfect!

I've just learned that there are 28 kinds of fish in Lake Como, and that Silvio is wonderful restaurant in Bellagio where one can dine on them. I loved our night at the local restaurant in Carena. But I'll try the more upscale Silvio, too!

Renaissance Man: Lake Como's Tasty Fish (The Daily Traveler Blog)

No comments: